Friday, August 27, 2021

Kapa Haka!

 Hi. If you don't know me yet, I'm Grace. An almost 10 year old student from New Windsor School.

And if you didn't know, (which if you are new then you definitely wouldn't know,) I do Kapa Haka.

If you don't know what Kapa Haka is, it is where you preform Maori dances and songs in front of an audience. 

It takes lots of time to practise the dances and memorise the songs. 

And some of my favourite songs that we do in Kapa Haka, is

1. Nga iwi e

It is a super fun song, and it makes me nice and energetic with how happy the song is.

2. Toku reo.

It's really fun to sing and I'm obsessed with how it sounds when all of us are singing it!

3. Uia.

This is our poi. If you don't know what poi is, it's these things and you make movement with them, I'm not really sure how to explain it. And I love how at the start of the song we do a 3 part harmony. 

Poi video here:



Thanks for reading my blog post and feel free to ask some questions about anything. Have a great rest of the night or day!


12 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Grace

    What a cool choice of topic for your blog! I like that you explained what kapa haka is. That would be good for any international readers you might have. I also like that you have a video of you using a poi.
    Did you make your own poi? And is it very hard to preform with a poi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marleen. Thanks, I thought I'd choose a different sort of topic. Yes, I have made my own poi. But it isn't the one I was using. The one I made, I'm not sure where it is.. The one I was using was a cheap one, that had already fallen apart, so it was hard to use. When you are first practising how to do the moves to your song with the poi, it's pretty hard. But you get used to it. We all learn something new. And sometimes you drop your poi on stage, but you are taught what to do when that happens. I can't exactly remember what to do though, because I've never dropped a poi on stage. But poi is one of my favourite parts about kapa haka. It's really fun. Thanks for leaving a comment! Have you ever done kapa haka?

      Delete
    2. Morning Grace

      I don't think we called it kapa haka when I was at school. I think it was just a cultural group, and I feel like we didn’t do the poi either.

      I remember one time when I was in room 16 and they were practising the poi, I was able to have a turn. I can honestly say that I struggled, but the students in there were really helpful and kept trying to help me!

      Delete
    3. Kia ora Marleen. At my mum's school, they called it maori club! I wonder..if they didn't do poi, what made them do it now? Haha, it takes getting used to.. It's nice they were trying to help.

      Delete
  2. Hi Grace, Thanks for sharing information about Kapa haka. I like how you added a video at the end. Now I am motivated to learn Poi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Ghosh. Your welcome. It's a nice feeling that you have shown something that may be new to a person, and they think it's pretty cool! Though, note that it takes time to get used to poi..

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Grace, It’s really nice to hear you enjoy our waiata so and your poi skills are so good 👏.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Whaea Tini! Thanks. I really do enjoy our kapa haka!

      Delete
  4. Hello Grace
    It is Vivienne from Belfast school I really like your poi skills and your waiata I was so surprised that you could do that well done👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Vivienne. Thank you! It means a lot :)

      Delete
  5. hi grace
    your very good at doing the poi and the waiata was so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora, Devyn.
      Thank you! I really like poi so this means a lot. :)

      Delete